Grassroots Asia identifies and empowers grassroots projects in Asia that contribute to emergency relief, basic care (food, water, shelter, health care) and education for the underprivileged.
Board of Directors
Grassroots Asia was founded in 2003 by Debra Pennington to work at a grassroots level for the poor and under-priveleged in Asia. It was from her pilgramage travels through Asia that she developed a love for the diverse cultures and spiritual practices on the Asian continent. She now works for multiple organizations as an advisor, fund-raiser, instructor, and project coordinator. Grassroots Asia currently has three dedicated directors, paid professionals, and several volunteers who offer advice, skills, and expertise in various capacities.
Additional Project Considerations & Approach:
- Social return on investment
- Minimum 3 years of proven success
- Programs that encourage self-sufficiency, self-expression, and self-development
- Quality management in well-structured programs
- Transparency & accountability standards
- Beneficiaries' involvement in decisions and planning
- Promoting selfless service to humanity and social service
- Organic, grassroots development
- Balancing emergency aid with long-term solutions